A mother with “anxious thoughts…for the welfare
of her children” saddles her horse and rides several miles to the home of Mary
Giggell. They spend the day “reading the Bible, talking & praying
-Fairbanks, Edward T.
The Town of St. Johnsbury.
Six men and thirteen women, including the two from 1806, “united in covenant of a Christian church.” Those nineteen people have no pastor for twenty-four years.
The Free Baptist Church is established.
The Free Baptist Church holds services under two pastors before incorporating in 1872.
The Free Baptist Church purchases a house on Main Street, corner of Prospect Street, with intents to put up a church building some day.
2 August 1872.
First Baptist Church is organized by William Bacon of New York City with 13 members, meeting in the home of Miss Alice G. Clark at the Clark homestead on Clark’s Ave. (note: Alice is probably a child at this time as records indicate she died at age 90 in 1954.)-UBC Meeting Minutes. May 1939, plus last pages.
Col. Levi K. Fuller of Brattleboro
donates the deed to the property on the corner of Railroad St. and Maple St. to
the Baptists forming the First Baptist Church.
-UBC Minutes, May 1939.
November - The First
Baptist Church chapel, located on their donated property, is dedicated to the
Lord’s service. According to Town of St. Johnsbury p. 313, the
building seats 250.
December - The Free Baptist Church dedicates their new vestry “to the worship of Almighty God.”
- Caledonian-Record. “Dedication of Baptist Chapel” and “Free Baptist Dedicated.” 3 Dec. 1875.
July 19th – The First Baptist and Free Baptist Churches unite to form the Union Baptist Church of St. Johnsbury, Inc., agreeing to use the First Baptist Church’s building on Railroad St.
Rev. F.S. Tolman, pastor of the First Baptist Church from 1908, is a leader in uniting the two churches and becomes pastor of the Union Baptist Church for about a year.